Below is information regarding the 2023 4-H & FFA Livestock Sale scheduled for August 18th.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 18th
2023 Sale Order: Steers, Goats, Hogs, Lambs and Dairy Steers
11:00 a.m. Announcements/Floor Bidding
11:30 a.m. *Estimated Steer Sale Start Time
12:45 p.m. *Estimated Goat Sale Start Time
3:00 p.m. *Estimated Hog Sale Start Time
6:00 p.m. *Estimated Lamb Sale Start Time
7:30 p.m. *Estimated Dairy Steer Sale Start Time
* Sale times are estimated and may begin earlier or later than indicated.
Next sale will immediately follow the preceding sale without delay.
This is a terminal sale and all animals are intended for slaughter. If buyers take animals home it is at their own risk.
Haul out of animals will occur one-half hour following the end of the sale. All livestock must be moved from the Fairgrounds by 8:00 a.m., Saturday, August 19th . You must make your hauling, slaughter, and custom kill arrangements prior to the sale.
Slaughter and Processing Facilities
Since COVID-19 there has been a high demand for local processed meat, and many of our local processors
are booked a year in advance. You may have to consider Flooring more animals than normal or taking the
animals home with you and feeding them out to finish for slaughter at a later time.
Due to this high demand of local processed market animals this year, you MUST make an appointment with a
Slaughter/Processing facility or have your own arrangements made BEFORE THE FAIR/SALE. If you need
assistance in finding a Slaughter/Processing facility, please call the Rockingham Extension Office at 540-564-
3080 and ask for Sam Leech.
Visit our website for up-to-date information!
4-H & FFA Livestock Sale Procedures for 2023
- One contact per bidder registration number or group of multiple buyers will need to be responsible for providing payment for sale purchase. Businesses/individuals will not be billed separately if they are part of a multiple buyer purchase, instead the main contact for the group or the first bidder number documented will be responsible for bill payment.
- This is a terminal sale and all animals are intended for slaughter. If buyers take animals home it is at their own risk.
- Buyers may pick up their sale bills the night of the sale.
- The Fair Association is responsible for the collection and distribution of ALL sale monies.
- All buyers are asked to pay the Fair Association for purchased livestock the night of the sale. If you cannot pay on the night of the sale, please make arrangements prior to the sale with Mrs. Rebecca Holloway, Fair Association Manager. Her phone number is 434-0005. Buyers are NOT to directly pay the youth exhibitors.
- NEW-All animals purchased will be assumed that it is to go to the FLOOR. If you wish to take the animal home or have sent to a slaughter/process facility, you will need to fill out a blank Slaughter Card for that animal with the correct identifying information (Exhibitor name, Tag #, Buyer Name/ID, and Destination). Blank Slaughter Cards will be brought to you during the sale.
- Haul out of animals will occur one-half hour following the end of the sale. All livestock must be moved from the Fairgrounds by 8:00 a.m., Saturday, August 19th. You must make your hauling, slaughter, and custom kill arrangements prior to the sale.
- Any sales tax owed on livestock is to be paid to the Fair Association. Sales tax is owed on any livestock that is slaughtered for home use (custom kill). If applicable, a tax exempt form must be completed on the livestock if there is not a copy on file. This form can be completed the night of the sale.
- Farm Credit of the Virginias will sponsor a meal for buyers during the sale. Meal tickets will be distributed when you register for bidder numbers at the sale.
- Purchase by Proxy - The Rockingham County 4-H & FFA Livestock Show and Sale Committee has a Buyers’ Committee. This committee was established to assist 4-H & FFA members in soliciting new support for the livestock sale. This committee does not take the place of individual 4-H & FFA members marketing their animals through personal contacts. With the growing number of entries, the need for continued and new sale support is great. We encourage each buyer to personally attend the sale. However, if you are unable or choose not to attend the sale, but would still like to support the program, the buyers’ committee is prepared to take your donation and do the buying for you. You can select a certain species, a particular 4-H or FFA member to support, or just have your donation be spread across the sale as needed. One goal of this committee is to see that the prices remain stable for all members throughout the entire sale.
Your company still has the same options of purchasing for home use or reselling at the floor price and paying only the difference for advertising costs. To receive more information on how to support the auction by purchasing by proxy, please don’t hesitate to contact the Rockingham County Extension Office at 564-3080. We will continue our efforts to encourage our youth to understand the help you provide to our sale and that their “thanks” to you is a very important part of the learning process.
If you have questions or concerns regarding the sale, please contact Mrs. Cathy Seal (298-8620) or the Extension Office (564-3080).
We have prepared a special “Show and Sale Guide” for potential Buyers. These may be obtained after July 13th from the Rockingham County Extension Office or from one of the exhibitors.